As part of our small, friendly head office Property team, the job will be to provide support to the team in undertaking property surveying services across the Topps Tiles Group across our estate portfolio comprising over 370 stores nationwide plus main sites being two substantial warehouse & office buildings at Grove Park, Leicester. The management of property across this portfolio requires constant and careful attention and the role holder will play an important part in delivering this. The role holder will have full RICS membership. The role will require a hands-on approach to provide “client side” property surveying of varying nature from repairs & maintenance, dilapidations, property cost management, disposal & management of surplus premises, day to day management of existing holdings, rent reviews, lease renewals, re-fits & refurbishments for Britain’s biggest tile specialist.
- Support the team with organising and managing repairs & maintenance working with operational colleagues, contractors, landlords and other stakeholders.
- Assist in the identification, management and settling of landlords wants of repair and dilapidations claims in timely and cost effective fashion.
- Provide support in the keeping of organised property records for the estate portfolio including maintaining the existing database (excel spreadsheets and Qube software), assessing performance and providing regular periodic reports and recommendations.
- Monitor and actively manage property costs including rents, rates, insurances, service and ad-hoc charges to ensure best value.
- Work with colleagues and external consultants for the management and disposal, on the best terms achievable, of surplus accommodation in the Group portfolio.
- Work with operational colleagues including stores, area & regional managers relating to property issues and assess problems and advise & assist colleagues in proposed actions/remedies within appropriate timescales.
- Budget for and undertake rent reviews & lease renewals including property measurement, valuing and negotiating for the best outcome achievable. Ensure that all deadlines are identified and met with in liaison with internal colleagues and external solicitors.
- Carry out general property management duties to include involvement with landlords/consultants inspections and queries.
- Where required assist in any requirements for licences, car parking management, party wall matters, compulsory purchase, planning & signage issues.
- Be in liaison with colleagues to keep up to date with company operations and priorities.
- If required assist in obtaining landlords permission and/or other regulatory consents or approvals and if necessary arrange for drawings/specifications to be produced for property work.
- Assist in providing property information required by statutory undertakers, insurers and other relevant bodies acting with the Group to ensure our compliance with their requirements by monitoring progress and completion of works through liaison with colleagues and consultants.
- Promote with colleagues and external agents their understanding of the Property Department’s and the Group’s strategy, requirements and procedures.
- Help in maintaining the accuracy and level of detail on the property management databases.
- Support other team members as required.
- Support in arranging the reimbursement of costs for repairs if damage is caused by 3rd Party including in liaison with Insurance Companies.
Skills and requirements
- Have an appropriate RICS accredited qualification at degree level / full RICS membership.
- Have already gained RICS membership - some surveying experience would be preferred, especially if in a “client side” role
- Live within a reasonable commuting distance of the Group HQ at Enderby, Leicester and hold a current valid full driving licence
- Excellent communication skills with good telephone and email manner.
- Good IT skills and administrative competency are essential
- Understanding financial aspects of the work with commercial acumen and able to drive performance
- Good IT and solid administrative skills able to prioritise and handle difficult situations.
- Good organisation skills and diligence in record keeping
- Excellent team player but able to take the initiative where appropriate
- Ability to work well under pressure
A career with Topps Tiles
There's plenty about Topps Tiles that might surprise you. Like the fact that you don't need to be a DIY or tile expert to work in one of our stores or Head Office.