Big things are happening at Topps Tiles. As Britain’s largest specialist tile retailer, selling only the very best quality on-trend products, £1 of every £3 spent in the UK domestic tile market is spent with us. We have over 370 stores and sales of £211m. And we’re as big on career opportunities as we are on outstanding service and great value. After all, it’s brilliant, friendly, knowledgeable people that makes us special. Right now we’re on a journey of exciting growth - there’s never been a better time to join the Topps Tiles family.
We have a great opportunity for a Facilities manager to join our wider property team. As part of the small, friendly head office team the job will be to manage property facilities and maintenance services across the Topps Tiles estate portfolio. Our estate comprises over 370 stores nationwide plus main sites being two substantial warehouse & office buildings at Grove Park, Leicester. The management of property facilities and maintenance across this portfolio requires constant and careful attention and the role holder will lead in these fields. The role holder will either already have appropriate qualifications or will be supported to progress through appropriate qualifications. The role will require a hands-on approach to provide “client side” facilities and maintenance management, including running the FM & Maintenance Helpdesk that supports all of our sites, with Britain’s biggest tile specialist.
• Take the lead to prepare, monitor and analyse property facilities and maintenance budgets to plan for each financial period and provide up to date financial information.
• Oversee the Identification, selection, monitoring the performance of and remunerate facilities & maintenance suppliers/contractors.
• Manage the keeping of records of supplier/contractors background information (insurance, working practices, industry qualifications & accreditations etc.), terms of engagement and charging rates.
• Manage the facilities and maintenance process (through the in house Maintenance Helpdesk) and ensure standards for delivery of service are maintained.
• Liaise with the business main site, stores, area & regional managers relating to property issues (particularly maintenance) and assess problems and advise callers of proposed actions/remedies and timescales.
• Ensure the logging of calls onto maintenance database, analyse the problem and liaise with colleagues and external personnel to respond to call and if appropriate allocate order to relevant supplier/contractor.
• Responsible for the effective and efficient operation of facilities & maintenance orders, monitoring of works and processing on invoices.
• Ensure appropriate quotes obtained for work which does not fit into standard facilities maintenance and/or exceeds budget mandates and on receipt of quotes, in liaison with colleagues, choose most cost effective option.
• Be in liaison with colleagues to keep up to date with company operations and priorities.
• If required assist in obtaining landlords permission and/or other regulatory consents or approvals and if necessary arrange for drawings/specifications to be produced for property facilities & maintenance work.
• Manage providing the property facilities required by statutory undertakers, insurers and other relevant bodies acting with the company to comply with their requirements by monitoring progress and completion of works through liaison with contractor, colleagues and external agents.
• Promote with colleagues and external agents their understanding of the Property Department’s and the company’s facilities & maintenance requirements and procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining the accuracy and level of detail on the facilities & maintenance databases and standardise database procedure and use.
• Ensure that invoices received against works completed and resolve any discrepancies through liaison with colleagues, supplier/contractor and external agents.
• Manage and arrange planned maintenance and repairs.
• Manage the facilities & maintenance helpdesk.
• Ensure all relevant documents received from Contractors are entered onto the Facilities & Maintenance database to ensure up to the date records are available.
• Select and appoint Contractors with other team members and monitor performance through regular reviews.
• Prepare regular facilities and maintenance reports.
• Liase with Health and Safety to ensure all facilities management and maintenance works are completed to meet company requirements and regulations.
• Support other team members.
• Take the lead in the arrangement and execution of tenders for facilities and planned maintenance.
• Liase with staff at the company main sites regarding any facilities and maintenance issues.
• Arrange the reimbursement of costs for repairs if damage is caused by 3rd Party including in liaison with Insurance Companies.
Skills and requirements
• Have or be willing to work towards appropriate qualifications (preferably to degree level).
• An interest in property facilities management and maintenance (preferably with experience)
• Able to embrace and promote the company’s objectives, operating and reporting structures.
• Excellent communication skills and good telephone and email manner.
• Good IT skills.
• Understanding of financial aspects of the work.
• Ability to prioritise and handle difficult situations.
• Good organisation skills and diligence in record keeping.
• The aptitude for taking the initiative and driving performance.
• Excellent team player able to manage the Facilities & Maintenance Helpdesk.
• Ability to work under pressure.
A career with Topps Tiles
There's plenty about Topps Tiles that might surprise you. Like the fact that you don't need to be a DIY or tile expert to work in one of our stores or Head Office.